Ophthalmic Preparation Main Classifications
● Ophthalmic Solution
● Ophthalmic Suspension
● Ophthalmic emulsion
2. Eye Lotion
3. Eye Ointments
4. Eye Irrigation Solution
● Use to wash the eye Cavity during the surgery
5. Intra- Occur Injection
6. Eye Implants
● Deposit the device under and that device release a drug for a long period.
7. Contact lens solution
● All eye preparation should be “Sterile.”
Eye drops are sterile Solution, Suspension or Emulation of active drugs. They always contain a Preservative.
Following Ingredients are possible to be present in eye drop formulation.
1. A Drug
3. PH adjusting agents
● These drugs in eye drops should cross Cornea of the eye to give the effect. The Cornea is a lipid by layer. Only un-ionized molecule Cross Cornea. So, pH adjusting and maintenance is important to keep during molecule un-ionized.
4. A buffer
5. Tonicity adjusting agent
● Most eye drops are prepared as isotonic to adjust the tonicity.
6. Viscosity enhancing agents
8. A suitable Medium
● A Water
The preservative in eye drops
1. Phenylmercuric nitrate
2. Benzalkonium chloride
These are not suitable for oral and adjustable preparation.
Sterilization of Eye drops
Sterile by grammar radiation. The product pack in the final Container is subjected to the process.
Period of usage of an eye drops
1. Regular use eye drop can be used for 4 weeks after the first Opening
2. In a Hospital word 7 days
3. After an eye surgery a fresh on
4. O.P.D one days
How to use and eye drops properly
1. Get the help of another person
2. Wash the hand
3. Shake the proper bottle and open the bottle
4. Tilt the head slightly backwards
5. Full lower eye in down whole looking up
6. Put one drop in to lower conjunctival sac and slowly close the eye if another drop is to be added wait about 5 minutes then clause the bottle
Never touch dropper with any surface.
● Always supply in a collapsible tube
● Maximum weight is 5g
● There is a special Nozzle
How to use
Put about 1cm of ointment into the lower conjunctival sac close the eye and roll the eyeball.
When eye ointment is used for the first time discard the first 1cm of ointment as it may be to dry.
● Always solution
● Used to wash the eye
● Supply beam bottle, Maximum volume 200ml with an eyecup to wash the eye.